October 15th – December 7th
Medicare plan enrollees can reevaluate their coverage, whether it’s Original Medicare with Part D prescription drug coverage or Medicare Advantage. During this time, you can make changes or purchase new policies. Our SHIP counselors will be available to answer questions and assist you in changing your plan during the following days:
- Friday, October 28 – 9 am-3
- Tuesday, November 1 – 9 am-3
- Wednesday, November 9 – 9 am -3
- Friday, November 18 – 9 am-3
- Tuesday, November 22 – 9 am-3
- Wednesday, November 30 – 9 am-3
- Tuesday, December 6 – 9 am-3
Celebrate Medicare Fraud Prevention Week with the SMP!
Posted: Mon, June 5, 2022
From 9 am to noon every Thursday in 2022, Medicare beneficiaries may come to our office with questions, billing issues, appeals, etc. without an appointment. Our counselors will be available to handle all of your Medicare needs.
Posted: Wed, February 16, 2022
New-To-Medicare 101 Presentations
Our SHIP program offers a monthly “Introduction to Medicare” seminar. Learn about if, when, how and what to enroll in Medicare from a trained and unbiased SHIP counselor. Registration required. Space limited. Call 970-243-9839 ext. 1, and leave your name, phone number, and date of the seminar you would like to attend to be registered.
- October 5
- November 2
- December 6
Presentations are scheduled to begin at 10 am and last until noon.
Updated: Wed, June 8, 2022
NEW! Medicare Presentations At Your Event
If you would like one of our highly trained Medicare counselors to speak at your upcoming event about Medicare, low income assistance options and/or Medicare fraud and abuse, we are happy to help! Send event details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted: Tue, April 12, 2022
¿SABÍAS? You can browse a Spanish-translated version of our Mesa County RSVP website by clicking the three lines at the top right corner of any page and selecting “Español” from the options there.
Learning about programs like Medicare and Medicaid is often complicated enough in your native language, so we thought this might provide some extra help to our Spanish-speaking friends in the community.
Seleccione “Español” en el menú en la parte superior derecha.
Posted: Wed, June 8, 2022
Learn about Medicare Savings Programs (MSP)!
See how these programs were set up specifically to help low-income seniors and disabled members of our community. Schedule an appointment with one of our knowledgable volunteer SHIP counselors today!
Posted: Wed, June 8, 2022
What is SHIP?
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (or SHIP) helps Medicare enrollees navigate the Medicare system and provides free, unbiased and individualized information. Mesa County RSVP’s SHIP volunteer counselors do not sell insurance plans and are not compensated in any way.
How Our SHIP counselors Help
- Explain and help people enroll in Medicare parts A, B, C, and D, Medigap policies and supplements
- Offer individual, confidential counseling and public education seminars about Medicare
- Help people enroll in Medicare low income programs
- Assist individuals new to Medicare or new to Colorado
- Help research and resolve Medicare bills and other issues
- Educate people about Medicare fraud, errors, and abuse
- Help with appeals and fraud/error resolution
- Spanish-speaking counselors are available. Hay asociados que hablan español.
- And more!
Key Points to Remember About SHIP
- SHIP does not charge for its services
- SHIP counselors are not compensated in any way for their counseling services, allowing them to provide you with completely unbiased advice that best helps you
- SHIP helps you make informed choices about your Medicare
- SHIP stays up-to-date and informed about the latest changes in Medicare
What is SMP?
The Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) empowers and assists Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud, errors, and abuse. Mesa County RSVP’s SHIP counselors are here to answer your questions. Advice is free, confidential and objective.
Medicare is complicated. So how do you identify healthcare fraud, error and abuse?
- Fraud is false information given to receive payments for services not provided.
- Error is a mistake that may be corrected after a call to your medical provider or supplier.
- Abuse is a healthcare provider or supplier recommendation for services or equipment not medically necessary.
If you feel that you’ve encountered fraud, error or abuse, contact our office to speak with one of our counselors by calling 970-243-9839 ext. 1
Learn more about Medical Identity Theft. (link: SMPResource.org)
Download: “How to Read Medicare Statements” (PDF created by the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services)