“It’s a wonderful program. I am proud to be a part of it.”
“The children seem to love me and I love them.”
“I love it!”
What is the Senior Scholar Project?
Do you enjoy helping children learn? Volunteers spend approximately 2-4 hours per week under the supervision of school teachers in Mesa County public and private schools, providing one-to-one academic and social skills assistance. You will help children build a positive self-image and successful learning habits. The children look forward to sitting with an encouraging, caring, reliable adult, and you’ll experience feelings of accomplishment and joy.
As a Senior Scholar, you:
- Are never responsible for lesson-planning, class control, or discipline
- Are always within sight/sound of a school employee
- Need not be an expert or have particular training in any subject—even math
- Receive clear, concise, simple directions from your partner teacher
- Work with children individually or in small groups